Tuesday 31 May 2016

Gummi Madness...

Evening Lovelies,

Tonight I thought I would bring you up to date with my latest (and thus far most enjoyable) polymer clay project.

Let me start out, however, by letting you know that I, being closer to 30 than 20, am one of the biggest Disney fans, and no, I am not exaggerating... 
From my beautiful Mom I inherited many things, one of them being the love for all things animated (well mostly kids movies), and where better to get amazing animation with great characters and happy endings than from the amazing Walt Disney?

Now don't get me wrong, I love DreamWorks and MGM and 20th Century Fox Studios too (I'm sure I missed a fair few, but I'm sure you'll understand), like I said, animated kids movies, but for the purposes of this particular night, I think it's best to stay focused on Disney only.

I have loved Disney since I was a kid; and I can remember watching movies like Beauty and the Beast as a little girl and being enchanted by the magic of it all. I cried in The Lion King when Simba loses his father; and crossed my fingers, hoping that Baloo would be okay in The Jungle Book
Now, as an adult with over a 100 Disney DVDs (and keeping in mind that for the moment I only have fur-kids), I can assure you that I am well versed in Disney animation 
(and even some of the live-action ones too), and I love it all; watching most of them over and over, driving my poor hubby insane (and Mom and the Boys before this). But again I am getting off topic.

My most recently re-awoken obsession is with (in case you couldn't tell from the title) none other than The Adventure's of the Gummi Bears.
I love them, and have ever since forever. 
(You can see where I'm going with this, can't you?)

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Internet, I give you (my impression) of Cubbi Gummi! (Made out of polymer clay and a few dabs of acrylic paint.)


I know that he is far from perfect, but I think I did pretty well. Some of the finer details (like the lighter shading of his muzzle seems to get lost in the photos, but you get the idea...

Here is an original:

I got this off of the internet and used it as a bit of a reference (that and about a thousand hours of Gummi watching), but I found that, due to the fact that the Gummi Bears first aired in the 80's, all of the episodes etc. are hand drawn. 
That, of course, means that there is none of that amazing 3D rendering computer programmers working their magic on the Bears. So, even though by watching the Gummi Bears a few times more than is strictly necessary, one can only try and make an educated guess as to what they look like in a 3D rendering. I am sure that there are some that would not agree with my impression of the youngest of the Glenn Gummi's, but never mind.

Here are a few photos from a few different angles:





My intention, in the long run, is to make all six of the Glenn Gummi's, and perhaps even (at some stage) Gusto, and that is why Cubbi is currently standing on an overturned medicine cup. 
Once I have more Gummi's I will be better equipped to make/find a suitable base for them to 'live' on. I'd rather not fall in love with a certain stand only to find that it is unsuitable to house all six (maybe seven if I include Gusto) of my Gummi's.

The reason I started with this particular little guy is not, as you may rightly think, because he is my favorite (that would probably be a tie between Tummi and Zummi), but rather because he is just that, the smallest of the Gummi's, meaning that I now have a reference to work off of and I will most likely make them in that order: from smallest to biggest. (Starting with Cubbi, then: Sunni, Gruffi, Gusto, Grammi (Grammi and Gusto are about the same size). Followed by Zummi and finally Tummi.)
I didn't want to risk starting with a random Gummi, or even the biggest/tallest, which would be Tummi, just because I didn't want to risk having to work in a scale that I am uncomfortable with ie when I get around to making the smaller bears they might have been too small to be worked comfortably. As it is this little guy is only about 8cm tall, and I found the scale to be just about as small as I dare to go without making life extremely difficult/losing the finer details.

And so next on the agenda would be Sunni Gummi. 
I would say to you, if you, are a Disney or even just a Gummi Bear fan: Watch this space, because the rest of the bears are coming... (Probably, if you know me, you know that I am easily distracted and almost just as easily bored.)

With that I think that I shall say goodnight to you.

Until next time,
ACL.

PS. Sorry about not having any WIP pics. I was having way too much fun to even think about stopping and documenting the journey, but I promise to be more diligent with my camera when it comes to Sunni.

No comments:

Post a Comment