Saturday 21 May 2016

Catching Up...

I was just thinking that I should give you a quick update on what I am doing, just so that you know that I haven't forgotten about you, nor have I been idle since my last post...

At the moment I have a few things running around in my head that are just begging to be brought into reality (most of them are viable, the rest are best left as ideas only...). 
Those of you who know the feeling, will know that having that many ideas vying for attention makes it really hard to, not only focus on a particular project, but also to stay focused when working on something. So the long and the short of it is that I have three, semi realized, works in progress, two of which I thought I'd share tonight.

The one is just another face (for now). The face is about the same size as all of the others that I have done to date, so to fit an armature of about 7 inches. 
At the end of this project I want her to be looking into (perhaps even playing with the water in) a 'reflection pool' in the shape of half a clam shell, an idea inspired by watching LOTR for the thousand-th time.
Well that is the picture I have in my head at the moment, but, for those of you who know me, you'll know that it is subject to change without warning/notice. 
Sometimes the clay "speaks" to me and a new direction is embraced without much input/effort from me (and no, I am not all  that crazy!).


I started sculpting her because I was making smaller eyes (I'll get to that in just a moment) and they needed time to cure etc. before I could use them. Just to keep myself from getting impatient and  using the small eyes before they were ready and possibly destroying them in the process, I made this face... 
(Unfortunately for me I already had to make them (the eyes) twice as the first batch of small eyes that I made were just a disaster. I'm not really too sure where I went wrong, but boy, did I go wrong. But never mind.)

Next I have an idea for a pair of fairies. The idea is that one is sitting on a tall mushroom and the other is getting a hand up towards the seated one. 
I have decided to make these about half the size of my usual ones, the armature being 4 instead of 7 inches. Of course the bulk of the clay being baked onto the wire frame obviously increases the size slightly. (This is where the smaller eyes come in, as naturally, I couldn't use the bigger ones that I had made previously because they would be twice the size required, and I have already been told that I tend to make faces that are too wide eyed.)

Now I must warn you that the following photos are not all that pretty, but I need you to keep in mind that these are WIP (work in progress) pics only.

 Just a head. 


To give you an idea of the size difference that I mentioned before. The one on the left is the "normal" size, and the one with the blue eyes is the smaller one.
Here she has become a bit more than just a head.

The body DEFINITELY needs a lot of work. Patience is the key here, as, on this scale, I am going really slowly - more so than I usually do (I'm not sure I like working this small, hence my hesitation in starting the process of making the second one)...
A different angle. (The idea is the she will eventually be looking up towards the other fairy that is already on the mushroom, but for now it just looks like she has some serious neck issues.)
(This one is for those of you who wondered how I bake them.) 
Laying the unbaked clay flat in a dish or other tray will cause the clay to have a flat spot (because as the clay heats up it softens and becomes a bit liquefied, creating a melting effect on to the surface of the what ever it is,) and not really in a way that is easily remedied (again - speaking from experience). 
To avoid this I generally try and either hang them (like this) or have them standing (if at all possible), and not just the figurines, but the same goes for anything that shouldn't have a flat spot.

Here she is on her stand, having gained a bit more leg.
 From the back
 On the side.

 And the last angle.





Now you might have noticed that she has some seriously un-smooth skin, among other issues (did you see that one shoulder?! Poor thing,) but all of these should be fixed in the next few days as she is, um, fleshed out... (Pause for effect.)
She will also, most likely, undergo some serious boob reduction and thigh shaping before she will be done...


Another size comparison.

I'm sure that by now (if you are still reading) you are pretty much all 'fun-ed' out, so I'll be quick. 

As you know the small figurine will be a fairy, and, of course, fairies need wings. Here's what I have so far. I think they are looking pretty good, but they are also very much still a WIP.

(I might, at some point in a later post, go into more details on how I made these, but for now a picture should do.)


And so, dear Internet User, we come to the end of another post and it's time for me to say...

Until next time,
ACL.


No comments:

Post a Comment