Thursday 5 May 2016

"Beautiful At Every Age"

Okay, here's what you have to know: I didn't start out with this in mind. In fact I had a very different idea of what I wanted to achieve. Regardless of what I wanted to do the clay just would not mould into what I envisioned, and I spent a fair amount of time trying, eventually getting fed up with the lack of results. Insert little temper tantrum and voilĂ !
I ended up with this crone bust that in a sculpture that I like to call "Beautiful At Any Age." And just so you know, I really think that she looks, well, beautiful; not of course in the traditional sense of perfection is beauty, but still in her own way.

Here she is:


I am planning on making a companion piece to go next to her, a husband perhaps.

The problem with that, however, is that throughout my life's artistic endeavors, since before always, I have only drawn/sculpted/painted etc female faces/bodies. So, yet again it seems, I am about to step over into the unknown, and in all honesty, I am rather excited. 
Is there anything more rewarding than facing a challenge and rocking it?

I'd like to share the process with you and I hope that there is something you can take away from this and incorporate into your own project. The lesson I learned is to be open to - and excepting of - change and not to get discouraged if things don't turn out exactly as I want.
Like I said, I started out with a very different idea in mind. But after a while this Crone came to be. (I'm working on an instructional post on how to make these type of eyes - it's a cane method of creating the iris, and if you don't want to wait for me, just Google it. I'm still trying to improve on it so maybe in a few days I'll have something to share.)

Adding some ears and a few more scrapes and cuts to simulate wrinkles on the skin. I love the character that the ears give her (at this point, in all honesty, I wasn't sure if she would be a he or a she, and I was toying with the idea of hair in them) and I'm kind of sorry that they are mostly lost under her hair now that she is completed.

Next I cut off most of the bamboo skewer (I was using it as a 'holder' whilst creating the face), leaving about 2cm at the bottom to help anchor it on the base , and placed her on a polymer clay base that I made. Over the top end I added some clay and baked for a final time.





Just before adding the hair I shaded/blushed her with a bit of soft pastels (around the eyes and lips, on top of and inside the ears, and a little on the moles on her shoulder and chin).

(The hair this time was not the cheap craft store stuff, but instead an unrolled ball of cotton wool. I simply cut it and shaped it as I went along.)

And finally a few accessories: some really thin (beading) wire, twisted together, forms her headpiece, and three little metal rings (also found in the beading section) for earrings (these are really hard to see/photograph, unless you are looking for them, and are just on the one ear).

And that is that, another one all done! (See the earrings?)


 Well I'm off to go and try make her companion. Wish me luck.

Until next time,
ACL.

PS I have been using a new communications platform, and if you are interested in contacting me with questions and/ or comments, find me instantly (messages are sent to my phone) here:
https://reaches.me:8443/urlchat.html?guestid=6aa28459a91aad02692a9334f633919a
 
Its a fairly unique platform with a huge range of uses, but I like the chat. Alternatively, download it form the PlayStore. Search for chatWORLD or follow this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.world.chatworld&hl=en




No comments:

Post a Comment