Tuesday 5 April 2016

Another new one...

Okay, I know that I am never going to be able to die as I have way too much to do - and finish, but that has never stopped me from starting anything new before, so I figure: Why start now?

Today I happened to be browsing www.pinterest.com and came across one of the most interesting knitted stitches that I have seen in a very long time, one that actually enticed me to try it, if only for it's simplicity and beauty.
Naturally I had no choice but to see if I could do it, and then to see what I could do with it. Thus I have deigned to start making another blanket, this one composed of squares rather than being a single knitted piece, like the Tri-Coloured Blanket that I have shared previously (and has now been some-what abandoned for the time being).


Isn't it a lovely stitch?

All I know for sure by now is that it will be blue, or various shades of blue to be precise (probably, but I might still change my mind and just keep it at one), but I haven't yet made my mind up about the size and so I cannot really tell you how many shades of blue, or indeed, how many block there will be.  I have, however, come up with a couple of variations in the design for the 9x9 grids that I want the blocks to be.

Here they are (each of the grids represent one entire block to be knitted):


 


For the moment I am thinking about making at least one of each of these and work them together, or just have them so that I might see them physically and not just as a visual representation. 
Seeing as this is meant to be for a baby, perhaps just the above 9 will be big enough as each of the blocks should measure about 22 cm across making it roughly 66cm along each side, but I might take a liking to one design in particular and just use that one over again, until I reach the desired size blanket. 
Another option would be to use just a few and repeat them in a few different shades. In all honesty, the possibilities are, so to speak, limitless.

Knowing me, however I'll get about a third of the way done, half way - if I really concentrate and put some effort into it, and I'll either find something else to do, or I'll pick up one of my 'old' projects, again the possibilities are endless... 
My only saving grace on this project, is that it is really quite simple and small - for me (Mom says the projects I embark on are sometimes too ambitious hence my lack of enthusiasm to see it through to the end), so perhaps... time will tell.

Oh! After all of that I guess I really should share a WIP (work-in-progress) pic or two... 

This one it literally a WIP.
(The completed square below is design no. 4 for those of you who were interested...)

For a practice piece, I don't think it turned out too badly. Now that I have the hang of the flowers it's time to start...

 Well, there you have it, that's all I've managed for this Monday. Another new project and another new stitch. Today was a good day.

Until next time,
ACL.


(A quick shout out to my little brother on his birthday (the 4th) and also to my nephew for his birthday (the 5th). Love you both and sending many birthday wishes and blessings your way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment