Wednesday 23 March 2016

Something's wrong...

Today, for the first time here, I would like to share some of my thoughts, rather than a project. 

Earlier today I got news that a very close friend of mine was the victim of an unprovoked, racially motivated attack. The incident was at first not taken seriously by the police of the country that he lives in due to the fact that he hadn't gotten a medical report to prove that he was attacked, something that I think is outrageous, but I digress.
Now my friend had a photo of some of his attackers and posted it on social media, hoping to get some information on the offenders. He was not looking for financial compensation to cover his medical expenses etc, but rather for information to make an insurance claim to cover the damage to his car. (I no longer reside in my country of origin so the time difference between us makes relaying news a little tricky). 
Finally, as far as I am aware however the police decided to take his claim seriously and were on their way to take his statement. 
I'm not all too sure about the details going forward and I feel that if he wants his story told, it is for him to do so and not for me. 

The reason I brought this up today here has nothing to do with the delicate subject of racism, but rather with the culture of violence that seems so commonplace these days. 

How is it that in a so-called civilized society we can look the other way when something like this happens? How can we claim to be better than animals if we still resort to physical violence to solve any disputes?

For me the worst of it is that there are some comments stemming from this incident that are blaming the victim. 
What?! 
Seriously, how do you even reach that conclusion? I honestly want to know, what is your thought process that leads you to conclude that: if you are the victim of a crime, regardless of what said crime is, that you are the one to blame. It's like insinuation that if a girl is assaulted, she is the one who was "asking for it" because of the way that she dressed. 
Are you joking?!
Instead of playing the blame game why are we not simply teaching our children, and in some cases ourselves, that there are better ways to solve problems, and better outlets for ingrained anger than to attack one another in the streets or resort to any kind of physical confrontation. I guess its easier said than done, and perhaps even easier to just turn away from anything that is deemed distasteful. That is until it hits close to home. And i hope for the sake of all of us, that it never does, but i fear that it is somewhat inevitable.

What really got my blood boiling was one woman's comment that she, as a white person, has never had a similar experience, so obviously he was to blame. 
Now, generally speaking, I am not one to get involved in these things but I couldn't keep myself from pointing out to her that she was wrong. Here's exactly what I said:
"Good job blaming the victim! Because regardless of what did or didn't happen it must be your fault for getting attacked. I guess you are one of those people that blame rape victims for getting raped too. Violence should NEVER be the answer, not in this so-called civilized society of ours. Never. Instead of asking (my friend whom I will not name) what HE did wrong, why not look to the animals who did this for the answers?!"
She, I am sorry to say, took great offense to this and came back bleating about how, as a Christian, she would pray for me etc. 
As a Christian myself, I am saddened, and a little appalled, by statements like this. Who the hell do you think you are to condemn me or my views? And do you think that by invoking the name of God you are somehow free to say and do as you please? Isn't that what has been done by countless people through out history with disastrous consequences?
Regardless of all that, where exactly did this turn into a religious debate, and why do so many people, who have no valid points left to make (if they had any in the first place) feel the need to call upon God when they run out of legitimate things to contribute to the conversation?

It breaks my heart that a man who was attacked, simply because of the way he looks is blamed by so many for being beaten up by SEVEN attackers. Even if he had wronged you or in some way insulted you, why would seven of you need to kick him whilst yelling racial slurs at him? Isn't that a little too much? Does it really make what ever the problem is/was better? I sincerely doubt it.

And then there are others who are all "Just stand up for yourself, bro." Or "you should learn self defense!" Or my 'favorite' "You should have a gun/weapon in your car for times like this." 
Just please! If he did have a weapon do you think that he would be home with his family?! NO! he would be in a police cell charged with, at the very least, assault with a deadly weapon, or at worst, with murder.
Oh and look, dude, not even freaking Batman could take on that many and still come out on top. For that many people to beat up one lone man is shameful, and above all cowardly! He had absolutely no chance to defend himself, even if he were prepared for it instead of being blind-sided in a parking lot in broad daylight.

In essence, what I would like you to take away from this, if nothing else is this: PLEASE use your words, not your fists, to solve disputes and if you need to, go to a gym or go for a run to burn off some of that built-up rage that threatens to set the world on fire. I've said it a few times, and I'll say it again: Violence should NEVER be the answer! Instead of spreading hate, fear and anger, why not strive for love, patience and hope?

Until next time,
ACL.

The passage ends with: Three things will last forever - faith, hope and love- and the greatest of these is love.


PS. Sorry for calling you a "victim" the whole time, but I didn't want to use your name. I still love you though.

No comments:

Post a Comment